last sunday and this morning (24th and 31st march), 12.30-1.30pm, on bbc 2 tv
my mediterranean (presented by adrian chiles) (2 episodes) includes …
“Adrian Chiles converted to Catholicism ten years ago, but wonders whether his choice of church was an accident of birth and geography. If he had been born in Istanbul or Jerusalem, would he have been equally happy being a Muslim or a Jew?
1. … Next stop is Istanbul, where he has fun in the Grand Bazaar , and meets one of the last Jewish traders in the whole place, selling religious artefacts.
He travels to Jerusalem for the Jewish festival of Sukkot, and then moves on to Tel-Aviv to get drunk with a gay, atheist, Jewish celebrity chef. His final stop is an Evangelical concert by the Dead Sea, attended by Christians from all over the world.”
2. “Adrian observes the Sabbath with a Jewish family, but his brief flirtation with Judaism is cut short when he learns that becoming a Jew is not quite as simple as wanting to join.”
including contributions from …
• giacomo moscati, vice-president of rome’s jewish community
• riccardo di segni, chief rabbi of rome
every afternoon this week and next (monday 8th to friday 19th), 1.45-2.00pm, on bbc radio 4
the ratline (10 episodes, written and narrated by philippe sands) (in the intrigue series)
“Philippe Sands investigates the mysterious disappearance of senior Nazi Otto Wachter, who was indicted for mass murder. The Ratline is a story of a curious death, political intrigue, spies, Nazi hunters, shadowy forces in the Vatican, and a son grappling with the sins of his father.
1. The Secrets in the Castle: Philippe begins by travelling to a castle outside Vienna to meet Horst Wachter, an old man who believes his father was murdered, while a voice from the past offers up clues to how it might have happened.
this evening (sunday 10th), 9.00-10.00pm, on bbc 2 (repeated early tuesday morning, 12.05am) includes …
my mediterranean, presented by adrian chiles (2nd of 2 episodes) includes …
sunday 26th july (monday 12th to friday 23rd), 4.00-4.30pm, on bbc radio 4
virginia baily – early one morning (presented by mariella frostrup) (in the open book series)
(read the first chapter at http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/radio4/open-book/publishers_pages_and_early_o…)
(see also http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/31/early-one-morning-virginia-…) (more…)
every weekday morning for 2 weeks (monday 12th to friday 23rd), 10.44-11.00am, on bbc radio 4 (repeated 7.45pm)
early one morning, narrated by greta scacchi, by miranda emmerson, based on the novel by virginia baily (in the 15 minute drama series) (more…)
last sunday morning (5th april), 9.00-10.00am, on bbc 2
in the footsteps of st peter, part 2 (presented by david suchet)
includes visits to …
• yeshiva or lachaim, accompanied by lishay nissim
• the jewish quarter of rome, accompanied by chief rabbi riccardo di segni (more…)
this morning (january 27th), 8.50-9.00am, on bbc world service radio (freeview channel 710)
WW2, the holocaust and rome (in the witness series)
includes an interview with piero terracina
“In 1943, Rome’s Jewish citizens were promised that if they gave gold to the Nazis, they could escape the death camps.
Despite handing over more than 50kg of gold – most were deported and killed.
Alan Johnston has been speaking to two survivors of those deportations.”
“Of 1700 jews, 100 survived.” (more…)