every morning this week (monday 23rd to friday 27th), 9.45-10.00am (repeated 12.30am), on bbc radio 4
where the line is drawn (by raja shehadeh, read by peter polycarpou) (5 episodes, in the book of the week series)
“Raja Shehadeh reflects on his forty year friendship with Henry Abramovitch, a Jewish Israeli.
1. As idealistic young men when they first meet in 1977, they connect over shared interests in literature, writing and walking. As the years pass, their friendship is challenged by history, politics, enmity and violence, but it also points the way to a common future.
2. He visits Jaffa, the city from which his father was exiled during the Nakba in 1948 when 750,000 were forced from their homes with the end of the British Mandate and the creation of Israel. It’s now 1978 and he is staying with Jewish friends who moved into one of the old Arab houses in Jaffa. He is curious about their choice of home.
3. He recollects a humiliating experience on his way home to Ramallah.
4. He remembers a terrifying night time drive. Meanwhile, tense times lie ahead for Raja and Henry as the new millennium dawns.
5. He receives shocking news and he comes to a new understanding about the value of his friendship with Henry.
Raja Shehadeh’s books include Occupation Diaries; Language of War, Language of Peace and Palestinian Walks, which won the 2008 Orwell Prize. He has contributed to The New York Times, The Guardian and Granta.
He is an award winning Palestinian writer, lawyer, and founder of the human right’s organisation, Al Haq.”
yesterday evening (saturday 31st), 7.07-7.14pm, on bbc world service radio (freeview channel 710 or 107)
the cultural frontline (presented by tina daheley) leads with …
last monday morning (16th march), 12.30-12.55am, on bbc news tv (freeview channel 80 or 130) (repeated on bbc world service radio that afternoon, at 1.05pm and 8.05pm)
raja shehadeh (presented by zeinab badawi) (in the hardtalk series)
… this repeats a passage from shehadeh’s new book, Language of War, Language of Peace: Palestine, Israel and the Search for Justice (2015, Profile Books):
from her interruption, it is clear that interviewer zeinab badawi was already familiar with this quotation
however, other sources place the quotation as being from an israel radio interview of 12th february 1952 (whether this is true, i have been unable to verify … )
see eg http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/palestinians.php#axzz3UwZTlhgO http://www.radioislam.org/eng/jewish-quotes.htm (more…)
this afternoon (sunday 15th), 1.15-1.29pm, on bbc radio 4
What are the prospects for a peaceful settlement between the Israelis and the Palestinians? (in the world this weekend programme)
includes interviews with ari shaviv and danny dayan at the annual herzliya conference, mk ayelet shaked (who wants to annex area C) at the knesset, singer karni eldad at tekoa settlement, leo amihai (of peace now) at al-walaja (dominated by the gilo and har gilo settlements, for map see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Walaja_Barrier_2011.jpg, see also here), and hanan ashrawi and raja shehadeh at ramallah (more…)
sunday morning (15th june), 11.15am-12.00, on bbc radio 4
desert islands discs: raja shehadeh