this morning (friday 18th), 11.00-11.30am, on bbc radio 4
israel at 70: a personal reflection (presented by simon schama)
“Simon Schama was three when the state of Israel was born in May 1948. The country’s story has been interwoven with his own life. He offers a personal account of Israel’s troubled and often bloody history, of the deep division with the Palestinians.
He paints a vivid picture of the post war world and the desperate need of sanctuary for Jews fleeing Europe and, later, Arab lands.
Simon gives his interpretation not only of the conflicts and the failed peace plans but also of the nation that has been built and what its future might be.”
including interviews with …
• israeli innovation expert nava swersky sofer
• revisionist historian avi shlaim
• ahmad samih khalidi, editor-in-chief of the journal for palestine studies
• lyn julius, author of uprooted
• rabbi joseph dweck
• israeli ”new” historian tom segev
• nada majdalani and • gidon bromberg, of ecopeace middle east