for forthcoming uk programmes of jewish or israeli interest

Posts tagged ‘Bassam Aramin’


every afternoon this fortnight (monday 24th to friday 28th and monday 2nd to friday 6th), 12.04-12.18pm (repeated 10.45pm), on bbc radio 4 

apeirogon (by colum mccann) (read by stanley townsend) (10 episodes)

“In Apeirogon – named for a shape with a countably infinite number of sides – Colum McCann creates an epic novel inspired by the real experiences of Palestinian Bassam Aramin and Israeli Rami Elhanan who, after each losing a child, came together to promote peace.

1. Bassam begins his morning walking to the mosque. Rami rides his motorbike to the monastery.


OB: Apeirogon

yesterday afternoon (sunday 23rd), 4.02-4.15pm (repeated thursday 3.32pm), on bbc radio 4 

open book (presented by mariella frostrup) leads with …

“• Colum McCann tells Mariella about Apeirogon, his suitably multi-sided book about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, inspired by two fathers who have both lost their daughters. A soaring mixture of reportage, mythology, poetry and ornithology, among many other things, McCann makes the case for it as a “novel” with a universal message.“


Today: The Forgiveness Project

this morning (tuesday 5th), 8.33-8.40am, on bbc radio 4
today (presented by nick robinson) includes …

“Little heard. when there is an election, are people on both sides working for reconciliation, even though they and their families have paid a terrible price for this conflict.”

including interview with …
bassam aramin of the forgiveness project
robi damelin of the forgiveness project

The Wall

BBC bias: Despite less than 20 miles (6%) of the security barrier being concrete*, S4C follows standard BBC policy of never showing the other 94%, deliberately giving the impression that the barrier is entirely or mostly a concrete wall.

* (see

BBC bias: At 0:33:57. series presenter Ffion Dafis silently hugs an unnamed female ‘fixer’ who (0:32:55 to 0:34:00) has just said …
“Many people start to think, okay only God protects me, and many others say, what if I die now, nothing will happen, so that’s why we lose the sense of life, no-one cares, and then we face fear, we face, we see our rights being smashed on the floor, and that we are treated as if we weren’t even human beings, with soul and feelings and emotions, it’s like just creatures, you know, or insects, anyone can step on them and just walk. So when you feel that, you stop caring.

last sunday evening (25th november), 8.00-8.50pm, on s4c tv, in welsh
israel – palesteina (in the al wal (the wall) series. presented by ffion dafis) (possibly fydd rhiannon roberts)

“Presenter Ffion Dafis visits the wall that separates Israel and Palestine.”

including interviews in english with …
rami elhanan, parents circle families forum, 0:05:20 to 0:60:00, 0:34:00 to 0:34:30, 0:36:10 to 0:36:50, 0:37:30 to 0:39:20, and 0:43:55 to 0:46:00
• rabbi hanan schlesinger, founder of roots, 0:12:40 to 0:13:40
esther kones, youth worker, roots, 0:14:05 to 0:15:20
dalia qumsieh, lawyer, st yves advocacy organisation, 0:20:45 to 0:22:00 and 0:29:45 to 0:30:00
bassam aramin, the forgiveness project, 0:34:50 to 0:36:10 and 0:41:10 to 0:41:30
(if you missed it, available at

Tag Cloud


a happygoldfish blog